Take a look at these two essential steps to take before you start running ads for someone else. These steps can also be helpful to send to your client so that they know what they need to do to get you started.
#1 Be an Admin of their Facebook Page
This step can actually be a little tricky because making someone a Facebook admin is sometime “glitchy”. There are a couple of ways to make someone an Admin of your Facebook Page.
Manage Admin Roles
From the Admin Roles screen, enter the person’s e-mail address they use to log in to Facebook and click Save. It can be best to have the admin role as “Content Creator” just in case they need to post something they are going to then advertise or create an Event to advertise. If you know for sure they will not need to create any content, then you can select the “Advertiser” role.
You may notice that when you start typing their name, their profile picture shows up right away. That can happen if you are friends with the person you are adding as an admin.
But one thing that often happens is that the status will show “Pending”. This essentially means that it didn’t work. I’ve never been notified when I’ve been in a “pending” state as an admin on someone’s Page. I did see the notification one time in the www.facebook.com/pages section but mostly I’ve had to try a different method.
Here are a couple of troubleshooting tips to help make sure the Admin addition works:
- Make sure the person who is being added as an Admin has their “Other” Likes set to Public. You can switch this setting back to whatever privacy you want afterwards, but this seems to be the culprit most of the time.
- Make sure the person who is being added as an Admin Likes the Page. This isn’t always necessary but it does help with the Facebook glitches.
- Add the person you are trying to make an Admin as a friend. Again, this isn’t always necessary but it can help. You can always unfriend the person afterwards if you keep your Facebook friends more personal. Your Facebook friend policies are what they are and everyone has different boundaries on that.
If this method still isn’t working you can try the Make Admin option in the Likes area. First have the have the person you are trying to make the admin unlike and relike the page so that they are the most recent person to like the page. Then click the See Likes link in the Admin Panel and click Make Admin next to their name. After you do this, adjust the role of the person in the Admin area to Content Creator or Advertiser.
# 2 Be an Admin of their Facebook Ads Account
Your next step is to make sure you are running their ads through their Facebook Ads account, not your own. You can do this by being an Admin of their Ads account. This is different than being an Admin of their Page.
The benefits of running ads through their account are
- The ads are run through their billing system. You do not have to keep track of how much is spent and then invoice them later.
- They retain all the data on the ads for themselves later to see which ads performed the best.
- They retain the creatives to the Ads so that they can use them later.
To be an admin on their ads account, the client needs to click the wheel in the upper right corner and select Manage Ads. Or they can directly to www.facebook.com/ads/manage.
Then scroll down to Ad Account Roles and on the right side, select Add a User.
You see a pop-up box that prompts you to add the person’s e-mail (must be the e-mail they log into Facebook with) or you can start typing their name if you are Facebook friends. This process is not as glitchy as the Page admin (luckily – we can only handle so much glitch). Make sure General User is selected in order to run ads.
IMPORTANT! If you are done running ads for a client, have the client remove you as a Facebook Admin from both their page and their Ads account. This protects you and the client from any issues down the road. You can remove yourself as their Page admin and as an Account admin.
Facebook Advertising Secrets Course
If you want to go farther with Facebook Ads, be sure to check out my full Facebook Advertising Secrets course which is amazing – 4 modules covering Facebook and Instagram advertising and a private Facebook Group to ask questions! But the biggest benefit you get with the course is access to the Facebook Group where you can get all your Facebook Ad questions answered. We give feedback on ads, troubleshoot reports, and give advice on how to make your Facebook ads shine!
If you really want to grow your business quickly, Facebook Ads is the best vehicle to do that on the internet right now. Join me at www.fbadvertisingsecrets.com